Friday, January 3, 2014

Darn Potential

Good ol' Webster defines the word "potential" as "a chance or possibility that something will happen or exist in the future." Now that we've crossed over into 2014, I can't seem to get this word out of my head. These next 12 months carry SO MUCH potential I can't begin to wrap my head around it all. Some of the potentials of this new year are (hopefully) more probabilities then possibilities: beginning and completing our home study, continuing to fund raise, submitting our dossier to China. These "probable potentials" (see what I did there) are not as hard for me to think about because they are things that I have some level of control over. We have already begun the pre-pre process of our home study and paperwork, we are currently fund raising with our Standard Goods shop, and we are in communication with our agency regarding our timeline to submit our dossier. It's those darn potentials, the true possibilities and chances, that make my brain fuzzy. Possibilities like submitting our dossier in August and receiving a match shortly after being logged in. A match would be a photo and a name and some medical history. A match would mean I would know my son or daughter on some level. Possibilities like submitting our dossier, receiving a match, accepting the match, and booking a flight to China. All in 2014. The potential is killing me. In a good way. 

Now, I am well aware that the adoption timeline is rarely as short as parents hope it will be. It is very likely that our flight to China will not happen till early 2015. But, then, there is that darn potential...

God has been so faithful to us this past month. He continues to provide the finances we need to bring our child home. The story He is writing of this child's journey to our family is a good one. So far it includes random checks in the mail, a steady flow of Standard Goods orders, and a divinely orchestrated dinner with another adoptive couple who blessed us beyond words with their council and gifts. 

I think it was John Piper who said something along the lines of, "Prepare yourself to experience miracles when walking the road of adoption." Not that its all rosy and pretty and supernatural. It is frustrating and confusing and expensive and full of hard conversations. But God is so faithful to provide the kick in the pants we need to keep going forward when we feel like slowing down. Knowing what waits for us at the end of this journey makes it so very worthwhile. As I type this post, it is after 10 pm on Friday night and Tim has been at his office since 7 pm, sewing Standard Goods pieces for current orders and the ones we believe God will continue to bring. Not my ideal Friday night. Certainly not Tim's. But, man, when we think about what each of those leather goods mean for our family and for our child in China, we don't mind at all. Potential is a great motivator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment